Writing Prompts for January 2013
Here are some writing prompts to give you a creative start to the new year.
1. Use these song titles to inspire a story or poem: What’s New, New Sensation, New World in the Morning, All Those Years Ago, Year of the Cat, 2000 Light Years from Home, Last Year’s Man, Reelin’ in the Years.
2. Here are some opening lines you might try.
- “I’d wish you a Happy New Year, but I have a feeling it would be a little inappropriate at a murder scene.”
- Jasmine held the small shell, looking at it closely for a moment before putting it carefully in her pocket.
- The icy rain clattered on the windows like an endless chorus line of rhythm-challenged tap dancers.
- Winslow put down his pen and read the note one last time.
- Eyes that green were definitely dangerous.
- Mike’s Saloon was usually closed in the morning.
3. Use one, some, or all of these words in a story.
- cheer, light, shadow, photograph, branch, water
- paper, glass, sand, flight, scent, mirror, bloom
4. See if one of these titles sparks a story: Close By, Amanda’s Wish, Consolation Prize, Run It By, Close Quarters, Light the Way, Last Candle, Jewel Box Mystery, Footprints in Snow, Quinn’s Destiny.
5. Have you ever wished you could travel back in time in your own life? What event would you love to relive? What would you wish you could do over? How are you going to make this new year one that you want to live over again?
I wish you all a creative, prosperous and healthy 2013! Happy Writing!